Pineapple-Brown Sugar Topping
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Top vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt with this tropical-fruit sauce. Use it with Nut Praline Topping to create a sumptuous banana split
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple, (about 1/2 large pineapple)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine pineapple juice and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking, over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in pineapple, orange juice, brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring gently, for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in a nonreactive container for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 33 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- June/July 2005