Pineapple-Brown Sugar Topping
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Top vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt with this tropical-fruit sauce. Use it with Nut Praline Topping to create a sumptuous banana split
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple, (about 1/2 large pineapple)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine pineapple juice and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking, over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in pineapple, orange juice, brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring gently, for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in a nonreactive container for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 33 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- June/July 2005