Pineapple-Brown Sugar Topping
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Top vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt with this tropical-fruit sauce. Use it with Nut Praline Topping to create a sumptuous banana split
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple, (about 1/2 large pineapple)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine pineapple juice and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking, over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in pineapple, orange juice, brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring gently, for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in a nonreactive container for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 33 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- June/July 2005