Pineapple-Brown Sugar Topping
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Top vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt with this tropical-fruit sauce. Use it with Nut Praline Topping to create a sumptuous banana split
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups diced fresh pineapple, (about 1/2 large pineapple)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine pineapple juice and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan; whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking, over medium-high heat until the mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in pineapple, orange juice, brown sugar and butter. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring gently, for 1 minute more. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Let cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in a nonreactive container for up to 2 days. To reheat, microwave on High for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir well before serving.
Per 2-tablespoon serving: 33 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 29 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Super Bowl
- June/July 2005