From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Pickled turnips are a popular Middle Eastern mezes. Adding a beet slice to each jar turns the turnips pink; you can omit this step if you like.
- 2 1/2 pounds turnips, peeled and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick wedges or sticks (about 8 cups)
- 6 slices peeled beet
- 3-6 whole large cloves garlic, sliced
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Divide turnips among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids.
- Add 1 beet slice to each jar (this dyes the pickles pink) and divide the garlic slices among the jars.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, salt and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the turnips completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 1 week before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids
Per 1/4-cup serving: 9 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 100 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Middle Eastern
- July/August 2010