Mexican Pickled Tomatillos
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Chopped pickled tomatillos make a delicious garnish for tacos and quesadillas.
- 2 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, cut into quarters or eighths (about 10 cups)
- 6 whole habanero peppers
- 3-6 whole large cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Divide tomatillos among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Divide the habaneros, garlic slices and cumin seed evenly among the jars.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, salt and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the tomatillos completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids
Per 1/4-cup serving: 7 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 82 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010