Sweet Pickled Green Beans
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
We love dilly beans, but using a sweet brine and dried chile peppers gives pickled green beans a unique twist.
- 2 pounds green beans, stem ends trimmed (about 9 cups)
- 6-18 small whole dried chile peppers
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place a large bowl of ice water next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a boil in a large pot. Add half of the green beans, cover, return to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beans to the ice water to cool. Repeat with the remaining beans.
- Drain the cooled beans and divide among 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids. Add 1 to 3 chile peppers to each jar.
- Combine vinegar, 3 cups water, sugar and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar and salt dissolve. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Carefully fill jars (or containers) with brine to within 1/2 inch of the rim, covering the beans completely. (Discard any leftover brine.)
- Place the lids on the jars (or containers). Refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 month. | Equipment: 6 pint-size (2-cup) canning jars or similar-size tempered-glass or heatproof-plastic containers with lids
Per 1/4-cup serving: 12 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 37 mg sodium; 53 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Gluten free
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010