Scandinavian Pickled Herring Bites
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This Scandinavian-style appetizer is a good way to try pickled herring if you’ve never had it. The potent flavor of the herring is balanced by a dollop of sour cream and the potato slice it’s served on.
- 6 new or baby red potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce container pickled herring fillets (see Note), drained
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Fresh dill for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size. Slice each potato into 1/4-inch-thick slices (discard the ends). Sprinkle the potato slices with salt.
- Cut herring fillets into pieces small enough to fit on a potato slice. Place one piece of herring on each potato slice, dollop each with about 1/8 teaspoon sour cream and sprinkle with red onion. Garnish with dill and a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Note: Pickled herring are herring that have been cured in salt, rinsed and then packed in a vinegar-based marinade that can be flavored with wine, mustard, sherry or cream—any flavor will work in the recipe. Look for it in jars or tubs in the seafood department at most supermarkets.
Per piece: 18 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 5 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010