Scandinavian Pickled Herring Bites
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This Scandinavian-style appetizer is a good way to try pickled herring if you’ve never had it. The potent flavor of the herring is balanced by a dollop of sour cream and the potato slice it’s served on.
- 6 new or baby red potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce container pickled herring fillets (see Note), drained
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Fresh dill for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size. Slice each potato into 1/4-inch-thick slices (discard the ends). Sprinkle the potato slices with salt.
- Cut herring fillets into pieces small enough to fit on a potato slice. Place one piece of herring on each potato slice, dollop each with about 1/8 teaspoon sour cream and sprinkle with red onion. Garnish with dill and a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Note: Pickled herring are herring that have been cured in salt, rinsed and then packed in a vinegar-based marinade that can be flavored with wine, mustard, sherry or cream—any flavor will work in the recipe. Look for it in jars or tubs in the seafood department at most supermarkets.
Per piece: 18 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 5 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2010