Scandinavian Pickled Herring Bites
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
This Scandinavian-style appetizer is a good way to try pickled herring if you’ve never had it. The potent flavor of the herring is balanced by a dollop of sour cream and the potato slice it’s served on.
- 6 new or baby red potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 8-ounce container pickled herring fillets (see Note), drained
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- Fresh dill for garnish
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size. Slice each potato into 1/4-inch-thick slices (discard the ends). Sprinkle the potato slices with salt.
- Cut herring fillets into pieces small enough to fit on a potato slice. Place one piece of herring on each potato slice, dollop each with about 1/8 teaspoon sour cream and sprinkle with red onion. Garnish with dill and a grinding of pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Note: Pickled herring are herring that have been cured in salt, rinsed and then packed in a vinegar-based marinade that can be flavored with wine, mustard, sherry or cream—any flavor will work in the recipe. Look for it in jars or tubs in the seafood department at most supermarkets.
Per piece: 18 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 5 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2010