From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Making your own pickled ginger is easy and delicious. Pickled ginger is served as a palate cleanser between sushi courses. This pickled ginger recipe has no added dyes, unlike store-bought pickled ginger, which often contains food dye.
- 8 ounces fresh ginger, peeled (see Tip)
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- Slice ginger very thin using a mandoline or sharp vegetable peeler. (It’s OK if pieces vary in size.) Place ginger in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat; let boil for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Return the ginger to the pan and cover with about 2 inches of water again; repeat the boiling, draining and rinsing two more times.
- Return the ginger to the pan. Add just enough water to cover the ginger, then add vinegar and maple syrup (or agave); bring the liquid to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until there is about 1/2 inch of syrupy, thick liquid left in the bottom of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in its syrup in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: To peel fresh ginger, use the dull side of a vegetable peeler or a kitchen spoon to scrape off the papery peel.
Per serving: 37 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012