From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Making your own pickled ginger is easy and delicious. Pickled ginger is served as a palate cleanser between sushi courses. This pickled ginger recipe has no added dyes, unlike store-bought pickled ginger, which often contains food dye.
- 8 ounces fresh ginger, peeled (see Tip)
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- Slice ginger very thin using a mandoline or sharp vegetable peeler. (It’s OK if pieces vary in size.) Place ginger in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat; let boil for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Return the ginger to the pan and cover with about 2 inches of water again; repeat the boiling, draining and rinsing two more times.
- Return the ginger to the pan. Add just enough water to cover the ginger, then add vinegar and maple syrup (or agave); bring the liquid to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until there is about 1/2 inch of syrupy, thick liquid left in the bottom of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in its syrup in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: To peel fresh ginger, use the dull side of a vegetable peeler or a kitchen spoon to scrape off the papery peel.
Per serving: 37 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012