From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Making your own pickled ginger is easy and delicious. Pickled ginger is served as a palate cleanser between sushi courses. This pickled ginger recipe has no added dyes, unlike store-bought pickled ginger, which often contains food dye.
- 8 ounces fresh ginger, peeled (see Tip)
- 5 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- Slice ginger very thin using a mandoline or sharp vegetable peeler. (It’s OK if pieces vary in size.) Place ginger in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring to a boil over high heat; let boil for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse well with cold water. Return the ginger to the pan and cover with about 2 inches of water again; repeat the boiling, draining and rinsing two more times.
- Return the ginger to the pan. Add just enough water to cover the ginger, then add vinegar and maple syrup (or agave); bring the liquid to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until there is about 1/2 inch of syrupy, thick liquid left in the bottom of the pan, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate in its syrup in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Tip: To peel fresh ginger, use the dull side of a vegetable peeler or a kitchen spoon to scrape off the papery peel.
Per serving: 37 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 3 mg sodium; 80 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, sweet
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2012