Pickled Garlic Cloves
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Pickled garlic? You bet! This simple pickled garlic clove recipe is made by adding whole peeled garlic cloves to a flavorful brine. Use almost any type of clear vinegar—white, red or cider vinegar. Serve as part of an antipasti spread or chop and add to pasta salad, vinaigrettes or stir-fries. Use the freshest garlic you can find to make the best pickles.
- 1 cup garlic cloves, peeled, cut in half if large
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white or red vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes; drain. Transfer the garlic to a 2-cup glass canning jar (or other heatproof jar) with a tight-fitting lid.
- Combine 2/3 cup water, vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and crushed red pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour the hot pickling solution into the jar. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours for the flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 1 month. Equipment: 2-cup canning jar
Per tablespoon: 14 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013