Pickled Garlic Cloves
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Pickled garlic? You bet! This simple pickled garlic clove recipe is made by adding whole peeled garlic cloves to a flavorful brine. Use almost any type of clear vinegar—white, red or cider vinegar. Serve as part of an antipasti spread or chop and add to pasta salad, vinaigrettes or stir-fries. Use the freshest garlic you can find to make the best pickles.
- 1 cup garlic cloves, peeled, cut in half if large
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup white or red vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes; drain. Transfer the garlic to a 2-cup glass canning jar (or other heatproof jar) with a tight-fitting lid.
- Combine 2/3 cup water, vinegar, sugar, salt, peppercorns, mustard seeds, fennel seeds and crushed red pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour the hot pickling solution into the jar. Let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours for the flavors to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 1 month. Equipment: 2-cup canning jar
Per tablespoon: 14 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)