Picadillo-Style Turkey Chili
From EatingWell: EatingWell on a Budget (2010)
This quick turkey chili was inspired by picadillo, a Latin dish typically made with ground meat, tomatoes, spices and sometimes olives and raisins. It’s served in pastries, with tortillas or along with rice and beans. Here we decided to make it into a saucy chili. Serve it with crackers or some crusty bread and hot sauce.
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can small red beans, kidney beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives, rinsed
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften and brown slightly, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, tomatoes, beans, olives, raisins and the turkey; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 296 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 9 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 709 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell on a Budget (2010)