Picadillo-Style Turkey Chili
From EatingWell: EatingWell on a Budget (2010)
This quick turkey chili was inspired by picadillo, a Latin dish typically made with ground meat, tomatoes, spices and sometimes olives and raisins. It’s served in pastries, with tortillas or along with rice and beans. Here we decided to make it into a saucy chili. Serve it with crackers or some crusty bread and hot sauce.
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can small red beans, kidney beans or pinto beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives, rinsed
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften and brown slightly, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, tomatoes, beans, olives, raisins and the turkey; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: 296 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 9 g fiber; 658 mg sodium; 709 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value), Vitamin C (32% dv), Iron (26% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- EatingWell on a Budget (2010)