From EatingWell: January/February 1998
The flavors of picadillo—a dish found all over Latin America—turn meatloaf into something more than the usual. Make it a meal: Accompany with cornbread and hot green beans splashed with vinegar.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 8 ounces lean ground beef, preferably ground round
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup medium-hot taco sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread oats in a shallow pan and bake until lightly toasted, 4 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine the toasted oats, ground beef, ground turkey, onion, bell pepper, garlic, egg, olives, raisins, salt, coriander, cinnamon, pepper and 1/4 cup taco sauce in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. With dampened hands, form into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Drizzle with remaining 3/4 cup taco sauce.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 165°F, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
Per serving: 172 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 2 g fiber; 661 mg sodium; 137 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)