From EatingWell: January/February 1998
The flavors of picadillo—a dish found all over Latin America—turn meatloaf into something more than the usual. Make it a meal: Accompany with cornbread and hot green beans splashed with vinegar.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 8 ounces lean ground beef, preferably ground round
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup medium-hot taco sauce, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat an 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Spread oats in a shallow pan and bake until lightly toasted, 4 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine the toasted oats, ground beef, ground turkey, onion, bell pepper, garlic, egg, olives, raisins, salt, coriander, cinnamon, pepper and 1/4 cup taco sauce in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan. With dampened hands, form into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Drizzle with remaining 3/4 cup taco sauce.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in center of loaf registers 165°F, 45 to 55 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter.
Per serving: 172 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 2 g fiber; 661 mg sodium; 137 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (31% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1998