Picadillo, which means “small bits and pieces,” is a sweet-and-savory spiced ground- meat mixture from Latin America. Serve with warm corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas.
- 2 eggs, (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef, or ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- If using eggs, place in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Drain; let cool; peel and slice.
- Meanwhile, cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain off fat.
- Add oil to the skillet. Add onion, 1/4 cup scallions and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add raisins, olives, tomato paste, water and the browned meat; stir to blend. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season with pepper. Garnish with the remaining scallions and the hard-cooked eggs, if desired.
Per serving (with beef): 313 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Nutrition Note: Per serving (with turkey): 277 calories; 9 g fat (0 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium.
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique