Picadillo, which means “small bits and pieces,” is a sweet-and-savory spiced ground- meat mixture from Latin America. Serve with warm corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas.
- 2 eggs, (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef, or ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- If using eggs, place in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Drain; let cool; peel and slice.
- Meanwhile, cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain off fat.
- Add oil to the skillet. Add onion, 1/4 cup scallions and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add raisins, olives, tomato paste, water and the browned meat; stir to blend. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season with pepper. Garnish with the remaining scallions and the hard-cooked eggs, if desired.
Per serving (with beef): 313 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Nutrition Note: Per serving (with turkey): 277 calories; 9 g fat (0 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium.
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique