Picadillo, which means “small bits and pieces,” is a sweet-and-savory spiced ground- meat mixture from Latin America. Serve with warm corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas.
- 2 eggs, (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef, or ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- If using eggs, place in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Drain; let cool; peel and slice.
- Meanwhile, cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain off fat.
- Add oil to the skillet. Add onion, 1/4 cup scallions and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add raisins, olives, tomato paste, water and the browned meat; stir to blend. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season with pepper. Garnish with the remaining scallions and the hard-cooked eggs, if desired.
Per serving (with beef): 313 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Nutrition Note: Per serving (with turkey): 277 calories; 9 g fat (0 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium.
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique