Picadillo, which means “small bits and pieces,” is a sweet-and-savory spiced ground- meat mixture from Latin America. Serve with warm corn or whole-wheat flour tortillas.
- 2 eggs, (optional)
- 1 pound lean ground beef, or ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- If using eggs, place in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil; simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes. Drain; let cool; peel and slice.
- Meanwhile, cook meat in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling it with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a colander; drain off fat.
- Add oil to the skillet. Add onion, 1/4 cup scallions and garlic; cook over medium heat, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add raisins, olives, tomato paste, water and the browned meat; stir to blend. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Season with pepper. Garnish with the remaining scallions and the hard-cooked eggs, if desired.
Per serving (with beef): 313 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 7 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium; 362 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (25% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Nutrition Note: Per serving (with turkey): 277 calories; 9 g fat (0 g sat, 5 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrate; 30 g protein; 4 g fiber; 548 mg sodium.
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique