Phyllo Cheese Triangles
Reminiscent of the ever-popular cheese straws, these savory, flaky cheese bites are a guaranteed hit for any occasion.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 sheets phyllo dough, (14x18 inches), thawed (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Stir together oil, mustard, salt and cayenne in a small bowl.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo on a work surface. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp kitchen towel.) Dampen a pastry brush with water and use it to brush the phyllo lightly with the oil mixture. Sprinkle with about 1 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan. Lay another sheet of phyllo on top. Lightly brush with more oil mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan. Repeat with the remaining phyllo, oil mixture and Parmesan.
- Cut the phyllo stack crosswise into 4 strips. Cut each strip into 7 triangles. Transfer the triangles to the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the triangles, 1 sheet at a time, for 6 to 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4. Freeze in a single layer, then stack in a container and cover tightly. Store the unbaked triangles in the freezer for up to 2 months. Do not thaw before baking.
- Tip: Thaw frozen phyllo dough, in its original wrapper, overnight in the refrigerator. Let stand at room temperature for 2 hours before using.
Per triangle: 21 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 51 mg sodium; 4 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food (2 servings = 1/2 fat)
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique