Pesto-Topped Grilled Summer Squash
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Toasty rustic pesto takes simple grilled squash from ordinary to exceptional with tangy lemon and fresh garlic. Serve as a side dish or chop the grilled squash, combine with the pesto and toss with pasta for a light entree.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium summer squash, (about 1 pound), sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine basil, pine nuts, oil, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl.
- Coat both sides of squash slices with cooking spray. Grill the squash until browned and tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve topped with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 115 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009