Pesto-Topped Grilled Summer Squash
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Toasty rustic pesto takes simple grilled squash from ordinary to exceptional with tangy lemon and fresh garlic. Serve as a side dish or chop the grilled squash, combine with the pesto and toss with pasta for a light entree.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium summer squash, (about 1 pound), sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Combine basil, pine nuts, oil, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and salt in a small bowl.
- Coat both sides of squash slices with cooking spray. Grill the squash until browned and tender, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve topped with the pesto.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast pine nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 115 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 167 mg sodium; 371 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- July/August 2009