Pesto & Mozzarella Stuffed Pork Chops
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Pesto gives great flavor to the oozy mozzarella stuffing in this breaded pork chops recipe.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat, divided
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine mozzarella, pesto and 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Cut a horizontal slit in each pork chop along the side opposite the bone, nearly through to the opposite side, so it forms a “pocket.” Stuff each chop with the cheese mixture (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg whites in another shallow bowl. Place the remaining 2/3 cup breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge each pork chop first in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip in egg white to coat. Coat on both sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 pork chops and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pork chops to a baking sheet. Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 chops.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the pork chops are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 390 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 12 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Zinc (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)