Pesto & Mozzarella Stuffed Pork Chops
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Pesto gives great flavor to the oozy mozzarella stuffing in this breaded pork chops recipe.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat, divided
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine mozzarella, pesto and 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Cut a horizontal slit in each pork chop along the side opposite the bone, nearly through to the opposite side, so it forms a “pocket.” Stuff each chop with the cheese mixture (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg whites in another shallow bowl. Place the remaining 2/3 cup breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge each pork chop first in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip in egg white to coat. Coat on both sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 pork chops and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pork chops to a baking sheet. Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 chops.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the pork chops are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 390 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 12 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Zinc (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2012