Pesto & Mozzarella Stuffed Pork Chops
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Pesto gives great flavor to the oozy mozzarella stuffing in this breaded pork chops recipe.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat, divided
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine mozzarella, pesto and 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Cut a horizontal slit in each pork chop along the side opposite the bone, nearly through to the opposite side, so it forms a “pocket.” Stuff each chop with the cheese mixture (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg whites in another shallow bowl. Place the remaining 2/3 cup breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge each pork chop first in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip in egg white to coat. Coat on both sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 pork chops and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pork chops to a baking sheet. Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 chops.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the pork chops are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 390 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 12 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Zinc (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- May/June 2012