Pesto & Mozzarella Stuffed Pork Chops
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Pesto gives great flavor to the oozy mozzarella stuffing in this breaded pork chops recipe.
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 tablespoons plus 2/3 cup fine breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat, divided
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1/2-3/4 inch thick (about 2 pounds), trimmed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 lemon wedges
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine mozzarella, pesto and 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs in a small bowl.
- Cut a horizontal slit in each pork chop along the side opposite the bone, nearly through to the opposite side, so it forms a “pocket.” Stuff each chop with the cheese mixture (about 2 tablespoons each).
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk egg whites in another shallow bowl. Place the remaining 2/3 cup breadcrumbs in a third shallow bowl.
- Dredge each pork chop first in the flour, shaking off the excess, then dip in egg white to coat. Coat on both sides with breadcrumbs, pressing to help the crumbs stick.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 pork chops and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer the pork chops to a baking sheet. Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and 2 chops.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the pork chops are cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Per serving: 390 calories; 22 g fat (6 g sat, 12 g mono); 79 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 391 mg sodium; 424 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium & Zinc (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- May/June 2012