From EatingWell: May/June 1992
A perfect choice for late August when fresh basil is abundant and tomatoes are sweet and juicy.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced ripe plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the pesto on each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes over top of each one. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Working with 2 pizzas at a time, repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The pesto (Step 1) can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 180 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 642 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992