From EatingWell: May/June 1992
A perfect choice for late August when fresh basil is abundant and tomatoes are sweet and juicy.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced ripe plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the pesto on each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes over top of each one. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Working with 2 pizzas at a time, repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The pesto (Step 1) can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 180 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 642 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992