From EatingWell: May/June 1992
A perfect choice for late August when fresh basil is abundant and tomatoes are sweet and juicy.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced ripe plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the pesto on each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes over top of each one. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Working with 2 pizzas at a time, repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The pesto (Step 1) can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 180 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 642 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992