From EatingWell: May/June 1992
A perfect choice for late August when fresh basil is abundant and tomatoes are sweet and juicy.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced ripe plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the pesto on each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes over top of each one. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Working with 2 pizzas at a time, repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The pesto (Step 1) can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 180 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 642 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- May/June 1992