From EatingWell: May/June 1992
A perfect choice for late August when fresh basil is abundant and tomatoes are sweet and juicy.
- 1 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 recipe Quick-Rising Pizza Dough, (recipe follows)
- Cornmeal for dusting pizza peel
- 4 cups sliced ripe plum tomatoes, (8 tomatoes)
- Combine basil, cheese, oil and garlic in a food processor or blender and process until well blended. Add yogurt and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a pizza stone, baking tiles or an inverted baking sheet on the lowest rack of the oven; preheat to 500°F or the highest oven setting. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Using your fists, stretch one piece into a 6-inch round. Alternatively, with a rolling pin, roll out on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining dough covered with a towel or plastic wrap.) Place on a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel or inverted baking sheet, using enough cornmeal so that the dough slides easily. Stretch or roll a second round of dough and place beside the first.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the pesto on each round of dough. Arrange 1/2 cup sliced tomatoes over top of each one. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Carefully slide the pizzas onto the heated pizza stone, baking tiles or baking sheet and bake until the bottoms are crisp and browned, 10 to 14 minutes. Working with 2 pizzas at a time, repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The pesto (Step 1) can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 180 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 642 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate & Vitamin C (26% daily value), Vitamin A (19% dv), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992