From EatingWell: December 2006
This twist on a classic latke is baked in a muffin tin, avoiding lots of oil for frying. One caveat: There's no standard size for the tins sold in kitchen stores. You'll need a pan with muffin cups that hold about 1/2 cup water. Serve with Pear Cranberry Sauce.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pasteurized egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Peel potatoes, then grate them through the large holes of a box grater into a large bowl. Squeeze in small batches between your hands over the sink to remove excess moisture. Then grate onion into the bowl through the same holes in the box grater.
- Stir in garlic, basil, egg substitute, cheese, oil, salt and pepper. Place a generous 1/2 cup of the potato mixture into each muffin cup, packing the mixture firmly.
- Bake the latkes until lightly browned and firm, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before unmolding.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 927 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (26% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- December 2006