From EatingWell: December 2006
This twist on a classic latke is baked in a muffin tin, avoiding lots of oil for frying. One caveat: There's no standard size for the tins sold in kitchen stores. You'll need a pan with muffin cups that hold about 1/2 cup water. Serve with Pear Cranberry Sauce.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pasteurized egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Peel potatoes, then grate them through the large holes of a box grater into a large bowl. Squeeze in small batches between your hands over the sink to remove excess moisture. Then grate onion into the bowl through the same holes in the box grater.
- Stir in garlic, basil, egg substitute, cheese, oil, salt and pepper. Place a generous 1/2 cup of the potato mixture into each muffin cup, packing the mixture firmly.
- Bake the latkes until lightly browned and firm, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before unmolding.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 927 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (26% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006