From EatingWell: December 2006
This twist on a classic latke is baked in a muffin tin, avoiding lots of oil for frying. One caveat: There's no standard size for the tins sold in kitchen stores. You'll need a pan with muffin cups that hold about 1/2 cup water. Serve with Pear Cranberry Sauce.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup pasteurized egg substitute
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Peel potatoes, then grate them through the large holes of a box grater into a large bowl. Squeeze in small batches between your hands over the sink to remove excess moisture. Then grate onion into the bowl through the same holes in the box grater.
- Stir in garlic, basil, egg substitute, cheese, oil, salt and pepper. Place a generous 1/2 cup of the potato mixture into each muffin cup, packing the mixture firmly.
- Bake the latkes until lightly browned and firm, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before unmolding.
Per serving: 215 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 3 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 927 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (26% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006