Pesto, Mozzarella & Egg Breakfast Sandwich
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
This healthy vegetarian breakfast egg-sandwich recipe is a delicious way to use up pesto and fresh mozzarella cheese and it’s ready in just 5 minutes.
- 1 whole-wheat English muffin
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 teaspoon prepared pesto
- 1 thin slice fresh mozzarella cheese
- Toast English muffin. Combine egg and roasted red pepper in a small (about 8-ounce) microwave-safe ramekin or bowl. Cover and microwave until the egg is set, about 1 minute. Spread pesto on 1 English muffin half, then top with cheese. Place the egg on the cheese. Top with the remaining English muffin half.
Per serving: 362 calories; 15 g fat (6 g sat, 5 g mono); 210 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 5 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 5 g fiber; 782 mg sodium; 244 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (40% daily value), Vitamin A (23% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Iron (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2013