Peppermint Pattie Pots de Crème
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
We love York peppermint patties and the flavor of these festive pots de crème is a dead ringer for the candy. Unlike traditional über-rich custard recipes, this custard uses low-fat milk, only 3 egg yolks and 1/2 cup of half-and-half for its creamy richness. Just 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract in the custard gives plenty of minty flavor, but if you want that icy mountain-breeze sensation, add a whole teaspoon instead.
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
Chocolate Glaze & Garnish
- 1/3 cup nonfat evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Small sprigs fresh mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to boil for a water bath. Place eight 4-ounce ramekins or custard cups in a roasting pan.
- To prepare custard: Whisk egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, peppermint extract and salt in a large bowl; set near the stove. Whisk 1/2 cup milk and cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 cups milk and half-and-half in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until steaming hot. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the steaming milk and continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils and thickens, 2 to 4 minutes. Gradually whisk the thickened milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Carefully pour the custard through a fine-mesh sieve into a large measuring cup or heatproof pitcher. Evenly divide among the ramekins or custard cups. They will be about three-quarters full.
- Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come about halfway up the sides of the cups. Carefully transfer the roasting pan to the oven. Bake the custards until they are set but still jiggle a little bit, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Let the custards cool in the water bath to room temperature, about 1 hour. Remove from the water bath and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour more.
- To prepare chocolate glaze: Shortly before serving, heat evaporated milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Place chocolate chips and honey in a heatproof medium bowl. As soon as the milk starts to bubble, pour it over the chocolate chips and whisk until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Sift in cocoa powder and confectioners’ sugar while whisking; whisk until smooth.
- Divide the chocolate glaze among the custards, tilting each to cover it completely. Garnish with mint, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: Eight 4-ounce ramekins or custard cups
Per serving: 254 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 37 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 123 mg sodium; 232 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 2011