Pepper & Egg Curry
This quick curry dish is a great way to use up leftover hard-cooked eggs.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, cut into wedges (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to color, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeño and ginger; stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour, curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth; cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the parsley and lemon juice. Stir eggs into the sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 153 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 214 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 219 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Selenium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique