Pepper & Egg Curry
This quick curry dish is a great way to use up leftover hard-cooked eggs.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, cut into wedges (see Tip)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until the onions begin to color, about 5 minutes. Add jalapeño and ginger; stir for 1 minute. Stir in flour, curry powder and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth; cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened, about 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in yogurt, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the parsley and lemon juice. Stir eggs into the sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 tablespoon parsley and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To hard-boil eggs: Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out hot water and run a constant stream of cold water over the eggs until completely cooled.
Per serving: 153 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 214 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 219 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (55% daily value), Selenium (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less