Pepper & Sopressata Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
We love the taste of these zesty Italian-style one-bite appetizers—topped with sopressata, red pepper spread and fresh mozzarella—on thin-sliced toasted focaccia bread. If you can’t find focaccia, toasted slices of baguette are a good substitute.
- 15 ounces focaccia bread
- 2 ounces very thin slices sopressata (see Tips) or salami
- 1/2 cup prepared red pepper spread (see Tips)
- 12 bocconcini (mini fresh mozzarella balls), halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut focaccia into 12 approximately 2-inch squares; cut each square in half horizontally to get 24 thin squares. Cut sopressata (or salami) into slivers.
- Top each piece of focaccia with 1 teaspoon red pepper spread. Divide sopressata (or salami) evenly among the pieces and top with half of a bocconcini. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Sopressata is cured Italian sausage similar to salami. Look for it with other cured sausages or in the deli section at well-stocked supermarkets.
- Look for prepared red pepper spread near other sandwich spreads in most supermarkets. Or puree roasted red peppers in a blender until mostly smooth—use your own puree instead.
Per piece: 72 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 173 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- November/December 2011