Pepper & Sopressata Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
We love the taste of these zesty Italian-style one-bite appetizers—topped with sopressata, red pepper spread and fresh mozzarella—on thin-sliced toasted focaccia bread. If you can’t find focaccia, toasted slices of baguette are a good substitute.
- 15 ounces focaccia bread
- 2 ounces very thin slices sopressata (see Tips) or salami
- 1/2 cup prepared red pepper spread (see Tips)
- 12 bocconcini (mini fresh mozzarella balls), halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut focaccia into 12 approximately 2-inch squares; cut each square in half horizontally to get 24 thin squares. Cut sopressata (or salami) into slivers.
- Top each piece of focaccia with 1 teaspoon red pepper spread. Divide sopressata (or salami) evenly among the pieces and top with half of a bocconcini. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Sopressata is cured Italian sausage similar to salami. Look for it with other cured sausages or in the deli section at well-stocked supermarkets.
- Look for prepared red pepper spread near other sandwich spreads in most supermarkets. Or puree roasted red peppers in a blender until mostly smooth—use your own puree instead.
Per piece: 72 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 173 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- November/December 2011