Pepper & Sopressata Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
We love the taste of these zesty Italian-style one-bite appetizers—topped with sopressata, red pepper spread and fresh mozzarella—on thin-sliced toasted focaccia bread. If you can’t find focaccia, toasted slices of baguette are a good substitute.
- 15 ounces focaccia bread
- 2 ounces very thin slices sopressata (see Tips) or salami
- 1/2 cup prepared red pepper spread (see Tips)
- 12 bocconcini (mini fresh mozzarella balls), halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut focaccia into 12 approximately 2-inch squares; cut each square in half horizontally to get 24 thin squares. Cut sopressata (or salami) into slivers.
- Top each piece of focaccia with 1 teaspoon red pepper spread. Divide sopressata (or salami) evenly among the pieces and top with half of a bocconcini. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Sopressata is cured Italian sausage similar to salami. Look for it with other cured sausages or in the deli section at well-stocked supermarkets.
- Look for prepared red pepper spread near other sandwich spreads in most supermarkets. Or puree roasted red peppers in a blender until mostly smooth—use your own puree instead.
Per piece: 72 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 173 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- November/December 2011