Pepper & Sopressata Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
We love the taste of these zesty Italian-style one-bite appetizers—topped with sopressata, red pepper spread and fresh mozzarella—on thin-sliced toasted focaccia bread. If you can’t find focaccia, toasted slices of baguette are a good substitute.
- 15 ounces focaccia bread
- 2 ounces very thin slices sopressata (see Tips) or salami
- 1/2 cup prepared red pepper spread (see Tips)
- 12 bocconcini (mini fresh mozzarella balls), halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut focaccia into 12 approximately 2-inch squares; cut each square in half horizontally to get 24 thin squares. Cut sopressata (or salami) into slivers.
- Top each piece of focaccia with 1 teaspoon red pepper spread. Divide sopressata (or salami) evenly among the pieces and top with half of a bocconcini. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Sopressata is cured Italian sausage similar to salami. Look for it with other cured sausages or in the deli section at well-stocked supermarkets.
- Look for prepared red pepper spread near other sandwich spreads in most supermarkets. Or puree roasted red peppers in a blender until mostly smooth—use your own puree instead.
Per piece: 72 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 173 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2011