Pepper & Sopressata Bruschetta
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
We love the taste of these zesty Italian-style one-bite appetizers—topped with sopressata, red pepper spread and fresh mozzarella—on thin-sliced toasted focaccia bread. If you can’t find focaccia, toasted slices of baguette are a good substitute.
- 15 ounces focaccia bread
- 2 ounces very thin slices sopressata (see Tips) or salami
- 1/2 cup prepared red pepper spread (see Tips)
- 12 bocconcini (mini fresh mozzarella balls), halved
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Cut focaccia into 12 approximately 2-inch squares; cut each square in half horizontally to get 24 thin squares. Cut sopressata (or salami) into slivers.
- Top each piece of focaccia with 1 teaspoon red pepper spread. Divide sopressata (or salami) evenly among the pieces and top with half of a bocconcini. Sprinkle with parsley and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Sopressata is cured Italian sausage similar to salami. Look for it with other cured sausages or in the deli section at well-stocked supermarkets.
- Look for prepared red pepper spread near other sandwich spreads in most supermarkets. Or puree roasted red peppers in a blender until mostly smooth—use your own puree instead.
Per piece: 72 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 1 g fiber; 173 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Health & Diet Considerations
- Low carbohydrate
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2011