Penne with Vodka Sauce & Capicola
Our velvety tomato sauce is spiked with cubes of salty capicola and a few shots of vodka. Make it a Meal: Caesar salad and a glass of Pinot Noir will shine with this dish.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1 2-ounce piece capicola, or pancetta, finely diced (see Tip)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook penne until just tender, 12 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook capicola (or pancetta) in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Return the saucepan to medium-low heat; add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 1 minute. Increase heat to high; add vodka and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced by about half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, half-and-half, Worcestershire sauce and crushed red pepper to taste; reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the capicola (or pancetta), basil and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Capicola and pancetta can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets. Buy one thick piece for this recipe.
Per serving: 311 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 517 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron, Magnesium & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation