Penne with Vodka Sauce & Capicola
Our velvety tomato sauce is spiked with cubes of salty capicola and a few shots of vodka. Make it a Meal: Caesar salad and a glass of Pinot Noir will shine with this dish.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1 2-ounce piece capicola, or pancetta, finely diced (see Tip)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook penne until just tender, 12 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook capicola (or pancetta) in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Drain on a paper towel.
- Return the saucepan to medium-low heat; add onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent, about 1 minute. Increase heat to high; add vodka and bring to a boil. Boil until reduced by about half, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, half-and-half, Worcestershire sauce and crushed red pepper to taste; reduce to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta; serve topped with the sauce and sprinkled with the capicola (or pancetta), basil and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Capicola and pancetta can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets. Buy one thick piece for this recipe.
Per serving: 311 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 5 g fiber; 264 mg sodium; 517 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Iron, Magnesium & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique