Penne with Tomato & Sweet Pepper Sauce (Penne Saporite “Il Frantoio”)
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Several of Apulia's ancient agricultural estates have been restored to their former grandeur and now welcome guests for meals or overnight stays. Il Frantoio (“the olive press”) near Ostuni is a delightful example.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 small yellow or red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (5-6 tomatoes), or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, sweet and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to release their fragrance. Add bell peppers, tomatoes and salt. Cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and stew, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree, adding broth or water as needed to make a smooth sauce. Return the sauce to the pan. Reheat gently; taste and season with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a warm bowl. Add sauce and toss. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 262 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 394 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value),Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995