Penne with Tomato & Sweet Pepper Sauce (Penne Saporite “Il Frantoio”)
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Several of Apulia's ancient agricultural estates have been restored to their former grandeur and now welcome guests for meals or overnight stays. Il Frantoio (“the olive press”) near Ostuni is a delightful example.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 small yellow or red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (5-6 tomatoes), or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, sweet and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to release their fragrance. Add bell peppers, tomatoes and salt. Cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and stew, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree, adding broth or water as needed to make a smooth sauce. Return the sauce to the pan. Reheat gently; taste and season with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a warm bowl. Add sauce and toss. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 262 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 394 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value),Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995