Penne with Tomato & Sweet Pepper Sauce (Penne Saporite “Il Frantoio”)
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Several of Apulia's ancient agricultural estates have been restored to their former grandeur and now welcome guests for meals or overnight stays. Il Frantoio (“the olive press”) near Ostuni is a delightful example.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 small yellow or red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (5-6 tomatoes), or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, sweet and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to release their fragrance. Add bell peppers, tomatoes and salt. Cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and stew, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree, adding broth or water as needed to make a smooth sauce. Return the sauce to the pan. Reheat gently; taste and season with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a warm bowl. Add sauce and toss. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 262 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 394 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value),Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995