Penne with Tomato & Sweet Pepper Sauce (Penne Saporite “Il Frantoio”)
From EatingWell: September/October 1995
Several of Apulia's ancient agricultural estates have been restored to their former grandeur and now welcome guests for meals or overnight stays. Il Frantoio (“the olive press”) near Ostuni is a delightful example.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, very finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 small yellow or red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 pound ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (5-6 tomatoes), or one 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth or water
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, sweet and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute to release their fragrance. Add bell peppers, tomatoes and salt. Cover, adjust heat to maintain a simmer, and stew, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a food processor or blender and puree, adding broth or water as needed to make a smooth sauce. Return the sauce to the pan. Reheat gently; taste and season with salt and black pepper. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, then transfer to a warm bowl. Add sauce and toss. Serve immediately on warm plates.
Per serving: 262 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 6 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 394 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (33% daily value),Vitamin A (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1995