Penne with Sausage & Peppers
From EatingWell: December 1997
Toss Italian sausage, bell peppers and onion with jarred marinara for a quick and easy supper. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli seasoned with a touch of anchovy and garlic.
- 6 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds,crushed
- 1 16-ounce jar marinara sauce
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne, or ziti
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; wipe out the pan.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook for 1 minute more. Add marinara sauce and the cooked sausage. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook penne (or ziti) in boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place in a large warm bowl. Add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Look for a commercial marinara sauce with no more than 1 gram of fat per 1/2 cup.
Per serving: 393 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Fiber (37% dv), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997