Penne with Sausage & Peppers
From EatingWell: December 1997
Toss Italian sausage, bell peppers and onion with jarred marinara for a quick and easy supper. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli seasoned with a touch of anchovy and garlic.
- 6 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds,crushed
- 1 16-ounce jar marinara sauce
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne, or ziti
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; wipe out the pan.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook for 1 minute more. Add marinara sauce and the cooked sausage. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook penne (or ziti) in boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place in a large warm bowl. Add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Look for a commercial marinara sauce with no more than 1 gram of fat per 1/2 cup.
Per serving: 393 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Fiber (37% dv), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997