Penne with Sausage & Peppers
From EatingWell: December 1997
Toss Italian sausage, bell peppers and onion with jarred marinara for a quick and easy supper. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli seasoned with a touch of anchovy and garlic.
- 6 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds,crushed
- 1 16-ounce jar marinara sauce
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne, or ziti
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; wipe out the pan.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook for 1 minute more. Add marinara sauce and the cooked sausage. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook penne (or ziti) in boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place in a large warm bowl. Add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Look for a commercial marinara sauce with no more than 1 gram of fat per 1/2 cup.
Per serving: 393 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Fiber (37% dv), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997