Penne with Sausage & Peppers
From EatingWell: December 1997
Toss Italian sausage, bell peppers and onion with jarred marinara for a quick and easy supper. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli seasoned with a touch of anchovy and garlic.
- 6 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds,crushed
- 1 16-ounce jar marinara sauce
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne, or ziti
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; wipe out the pan.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook for 1 minute more. Add marinara sauce and the cooked sausage. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook penne (or ziti) in boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place in a large warm bowl. Add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Look for a commercial marinara sauce with no more than 1 gram of fat per 1/2 cup.
Per serving: 393 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Fiber (37% dv), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997