Penne with Sausage & Peppers
From EatingWell: December 1997
Toss Italian sausage, bell peppers and onion with jarred marinara for a quick and easy supper. Make it a meal: Serve with sautéed broccoli seasoned with a touch of anchovy and garlic.
- 6 ounces sweet or hot Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds,crushed
- 1 16-ounce jar marinara sauce
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne, or ziti
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels; wipe out the pan.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and fennel seeds and cook for 1 minute more. Add marinara sauce and the cooked sausage. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook penne (or ziti) in boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place in a large warm bowl. Add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Tips & Notes
- Look for a commercial marinara sauce with no more than 1 gram of fat per 1/2 cup.
Per serving: 393 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 69 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 653 mg sodium; 438 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Fiber (37% dv), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997