Penne with Roasted Chicken & Radicchio
Radicchio is a brawlingly bitter green that becomes impossibly meek and mild when simmered. Paired with some cheese and the meat from a rotisserie chicken, it cooks up quickly into a memorable pasta dish.
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 head radicchio, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Place radicchio and the reserved liquid in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pasta, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, oil, chicken, vinegar and pepper and continue cooking until the cheese starts to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pasta garnished with walnuts and the remaining cheese.
Per serving: 463 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (28% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique