Penne with Roasted Chicken & Radicchio
Radicchio is a brawlingly bitter green that becomes impossibly meek and mild when simmered. Paired with some cheese and the meat from a rotisserie chicken, it cooks up quickly into a memorable pasta dish.
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne
- 1 head radicchio, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 2-pound roasted chicken, skin discarded, meat removed from bones and shredded (4 cups)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Place radicchio and the reserved liquid in the pot and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the pasta, 2 tablespoons Parmesan, oil, chicken, vinegar and pepper and continue cooking until the cheese starts to melt, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pasta garnished with walnuts and the remaining cheese.
Per serving: 463 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 30 g protein; 7 g fiber; 223 mg sodium; 263 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (28% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique