Penne with Braised Squash & Greens
This chunky sauce is laced with chard and accented with smoked tofu. Convenient packages of peeled and diced butternut squash are available in most supermarkets in the fall and winter.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces cubed smoked tofu
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Return the tofu to the pan and add broth and squash; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add chard and stir to immerse. Cover and cook until the squash and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the squash mixture, Parmesan, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Per serving: 386 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 755 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (340% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less