Penne with Braised Squash & Greens
This chunky sauce is laced with chard and accented with smoked tofu. Convenient packages of peeled and diced butternut squash are available in most supermarkets in the fall and winter.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces cubed smoked tofu
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Return the tofu to the pan and add broth and squash; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add chard and stir to immerse. Cover and cook until the squash and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the squash mixture, Parmesan, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Per serving: 386 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 755 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (340% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less