Penne with Braised Squash & Greens
This chunky sauce is laced with chard and accented with smoked tofu. Convenient packages of peeled and diced butternut squash are available in most supermarkets in the fall and winter.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces cubed smoked tofu
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Return the tofu to the pan and add broth and squash; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add chard and stir to immerse. Cover and cook until the squash and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the squash mixture, Parmesan, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Per serving: 386 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 755 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (340% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less