Penne with Braised Squash & Greens
This chunky sauce is laced with chard and accented with smoked tofu. Convenient packages of peeled and diced butternut squash are available in most supermarkets in the fall and winter.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces cubed smoked tofu
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces whole-wheat penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add tofu and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Add onion to the pan; cook, stirring often, until softened and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Return the tofu to the pan and add broth and squash; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add chard and stir to immerse. Cover and cook until the squash and chard are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Add the squash mixture, Parmesan, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Per serving: 386 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 9 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 755 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (340% daily value), Vitamin C (80% dv), Calcium (25% dv), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less